Scroll to content
School Logo

Cherry Oak School

Working Together for Success

School Logo

Cherry Oak School

Working Together for Success


Send Information and Local Offer

 All schools are expected to publish information about their provision for special educational needs and disabilities (SEND). This includes the 'Local Offer', which helps parents/carers understand what services they and their families can expect from a range of local agencies.


Frequently Asked Questions


1) What kinds of Special Educational Needs does the school

make provision for?

All Cherry Oak Children have Severe Learning Difficulties (SLD) or Profound and Multiple Learning Difficulties (PMLD) as their main presenting need. Additional educational needs may include; visual/hearing impairment, sensory impairment and autism.


Maintained by Birmingham Local Education Authority, all pupils have Educational Health Care Plans or Statements of Special Educational Need.

2) How does the school identify and assess Special Educational Needs?


All pupils have SEND and have an Education Health and Care Plan (EHCP). Occasionally we take pupils who are in the process of being assessed for Statements.


3) How do the school know how much progress is being made by pupils with Special Educational Needs?


We have robust systems of baseline assessments, recording data, target setting and tracking of progress in place. Targeted interventions are put in place for pupils who we feel are making less than expected progress. Our targets are set in line with national expectations for pupils with SEND using Progression Guidance. Regular parents evenings and annual review meetings take place. Parents are also able to arrange meetings at other times to discuss progress.


4) What extra-curricular activities can a pupil with Special Educational Needs access at School?


After School Club for pupils to participate in Physical, Social and Arts activities is held weekly. We also have drama club which runs for intervals during the school year.

Residential visits are offered for pupils during the time they are with us.


5) Does the school have a Special Educational Needs Coordinator, if so who are they and how can someone get in touch with them?


As a Special School we do not have a SENCO. Initial contact for further information should be via Headteacher Ross Ashcroft 

phone: 0121 464 2037



6) What training do the staff in the school have in relation to pupils with Special Educational Needs?


Many of our teachers and support staff have a great deal of experience working with pupils with SEND. Staff who are new to the school are offered induction and training including communication and Team Teach. All staff undertake a schedule of training during the school year.


7) How does the school get more specialist help for pupils if they need it?


Within school we have the support of professionals who can offer specialist advice, these include the school nurse, the school doctor, physiotherapist and speech and language therapist. We work closely with all professionals as well as parents to offer the best provision. We have staff who liaise with visiting teachers to make provision for hearing impaired and visually impaired pupils. If necessary we will make referrals and work with other agencies for example, CAMHS, Social Care and Educational Psychologists.


8) How are parents of children and young people with Special Educational Needs involved in their own education?


We are happy to meet with parents as often as necessary to ensure that they are happy with the education children are receiving.

There are a range of opportunities both formal and informal for parents to come into school. These range from parents evening and, Annual Review meetings to special events and assemblies. Class teachers are happy to speak to parents regularly on the phone and all pupils have a home school book for communication.


9) How are pupils with Special Educational Needs involved in their own education?


Pupils are involved in their daily learning through planned provision of opportunities to make choices throughout the school day.

Wherever possible we try to involve pupils in their education by encouraging them to participate in review meetings, whether that is by talking to them outside of the meeting to ascertain views or by them taking part in the meeting themselves.

We have an active School Council, members are voted on to the Council by their peers and meet regularly to discuss school matters.


10) If a parent or a child with SEND has a complaint about the school, how does the governing body deal with the complaint?


We have a complaints policy (see our Policies page). In the first instance we would encourage parents to contact the class teacher or Head of School Amy Findlay to discuss the complaint. If necessary this would be referred on to the Executive Head Teacher Julie Fardell to discuss the complaint further.


11) How does the Governing body involve other people in meeting the needs of pupils with special educational needs including support for their families?


A Family Worker is employed to support and signpost families to other agencies for support. Cherry Oak Family and Friends group (COFFs) puts on a programme of events for parents and carers to attend throughout the year.


12) Who are the support services that can help parents with pupils who have special educational needs?


Parent Partnership services are available to help parents through the assessment process and can also help facilitate school visits and offer advice (0121 303 5004). SENAR are the department within the Local Authority who manage the assessment process, they can be contacted on (0121 303 0824). There are also parent support groups in Birmingham who offer support and guidance, several of these groups have parents of children with SEND who work with them. We can signpost to the appropriate organisation on request.


13) How does the school support pupils with SEND through Transition?


On entry to school transition is planned on an individual basis with you and your child, this will include a visit to the school and an opportunity to share information. Pupils generally start full time but we are happy to work with you to plan for the most appropriate start for your child.

If a pupil is transferring from another school we invite parents to see our setting and carry out a visit to the current setting, we liaise with the current setting to plan visits and information sharing for the pupil. When pupils move on to their Secondary placements we work with the new schools to share information and to plan opportunities for children to make visits to the new school supported by our staff.


14) How can parents find the Birmingham Local Authorities Local Offer?


Information on Birmingham's Local Offer can be found by clicking on the link below.